- 1 in 9 individuals in the state are food insecure
- 40,440 children under the age of 18 are food insecure in the state
- 1 in 5 children in the Manchester area are food insecure
- The Food Bank works with nearly 400 partner agencies throughout the state
- We distributed over 8.5 million pounds of food
- We had 25,760 volunteer hours logged
- The Recipe for Success Culinary Job Training Program prepared over 91,406 meals for the community
- From the garden we were able to glean 1,500 pounds of food
- Cooking Matters® held a total of 45 courses throughout the state for kids, teens, families and parents
- Our agency relations team made 423 agency visits
Did you know?*
*Information taken from the U.S. Census Bureau website.
- The official poverty rate in 2009 was 14.3% - up from 13.2% in 2008. This was the second statistically significant annual increase in the poverty rate since 2004.
- In 2009, 43.6 million people were in poverty, up from 39.8 million in 2008 - the third consecutive annual increase in the number of people in poverty.
- Between 2008 and 2009, the poverty rate increasedfor non-Hispanic Whites (from 8.6% to 9.4%), for Blacks (from 24.7% to 25.8%), and for Hispanics (from 23.2% to 25.3%). For Asians, the 2009 poverty rate (12.5%) was not statistically different from the 2008 poverty rate.
- The poverty rate in 2009 (14.3%) was the highest poverty rate since 1994 but was 8.1 percentage points lower than the poverty rate in 1959, the first year for which poverty estimates are available.
- The number of people in poverty in 2009 (43.6 million) is the largest number in the 51 years for which poverty estimates have been published.
- Between 2008 and 2009, the poverty rate increased for children under the age of 18 (from 19.0% to 20.7%) and people aged 18 to 64 (from 11.7% to 12.9%), but decreased for people aged 65 and older (from 9.7% to 8.9%).
Poverty and Hunger in New Hampshire*
|People Quick Facts||New Hampshire||USA|
|Population, 2009 estimate||1,324,575||307,006,550|
|Bachelor's degree or higher, pct of persons age 25+, 2000||28.7%||24.4%|
|Persons with a disability, age 5+, 2000 ||193,893||49,746,248|
|Home ownership rate, 2000 ||69.7%||66.2%|
|Households, 2000 ||474,606||105,480,101|
|Persons per household, 2000 ||2.53||2.59|
|Median household income, 2008 ||$63,235||$52,029|
|Per capita money income, 1999 ||$23,844||$21,587|
|Persons below poverty level, percent, 2008 ||7.8%||13.2%|
|Persons per square mile, 2000 ||137.8||79.6|
*Information taken from the U.S. Census Bureau website