You will be redirected to the Bank of America’s Website.
Give A Meal
The Give A Meal proposition is simple: For every $1 donated to Give A Meal, the Bank of America Charitable Foundation will give $2 more to help provide meals to individuals and families who are food insecure.
This nationwide program has been highly successful, helping to provide over 250 million meals over the seven years of this program – over 55 million meals contributed in 2017 alone – and localizing support for over 80% of the Feeding America network members.
What does hunger and food insecurity look like in the United States?
(Updated 2017 USDA Statistics. Note: Definition of food insecurity is a household-level economic and social condition of limited or uncertain access to adequate food based on data from an annual food security survey issued as a supplement to the nationally representative Current Population Survey (CPS) and represented in the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) food security reports.)
- 40 million Americans (1 in 8 Americans) struggle with food insecurity. (Changed from 41 million)
- This includes more than 12 million children in the U.S. (1 in 6 kids).
- There is enough food produced to feed the world population – so the issue of food insecurity persists due to lack of access and affordability.
- A household that is food insecure has limited or uncertain access to enough food to support a healthy lifestyle.
- Households with children were more likely to be food insecure than those without children.
- Poverty and food insecurity are connected but not directly correlated – for the 58% of people above the poverty line that face food insecurity, they face barriers to access and affordability have incomes that make them likely ineligible for federal nutrition programs.
- Food is often the first expense sacrificed when facing the difficult decision of having to pay for other expenses like utilities, education, and health.
- 100% of U.S. counties have food insecure households.
Who will benefit from Give A Meal?
Individuals and families at risk of hunger will benefit from Give A Meal. Donations collected through Give A Meal will be distributed to our partner, Feeding America, or to designated local food banks, which will help families and individuals in need.